Random Thoughts for 12/11/2018

Hellooooooo again.

  • I mentioned that MSR's are coming up at roller derby. Since we're in the off-season, we've been doing a lot of drills to strengthen our skating skills. Obviously I'm nowhere near where I need to be, but I was thinking I was doing ok, considering the amount of time I've actually spent at practice and how long it was since I ever skated before joining the team. Ummm....nope. There's a chick I skate with who's super-fast, makes everything look easy, can jump over everything and looks like a freaking ballerina on her skates. I asked her yesterday how long she's been skating, and clarified actual skating, not just with the team. Less than a year. And she killed it in bouts this past season. Holy shit. I need to stop being afraid of falling anytime I only have one foot on the ground and up my skills. Granted, she's literally half my age, but still. Goals.
  • I got myself a part-time job! Tonight was my first shift working in the childcare at my gym, since I figured I'm there all the time, my kids know everyone, and what's better than a part-time job I can take my kids to? I like it. My kids have their doubts because they're kids and they complain about everything, but it turns out I get along with other people's kids better than my own (at least in 45 minute increments). I had a fun conversation about ghost hunting with an 8-year-old who just finished reading a book about it. She had lots of ideas and opinions...mostly good ones about not offending the spirits or opening yourself to possession. Smart kid. I also got to build lots of cool stuff with blocks and have some quality time with my own kids, knowing they were all with me and no one would be calling me with any emergencies regarding them...I could just sit and be fully present while my phone was tucked away in my bag.
  • The flu is weird. I had it last week, or at least tested positive for it? No respiratory issues, no fever. But I did have swollen lymph nodes in the back of my skull (in addition to the ones in my neck and behind my ears) and some randomly swollen/achy joints. Swollen nodes have subsided, hands and feet still hurt. No idea why.
I may have more to write about later, but for now I'm looking forward to some bomb holiday parties (do people still use "bomb" to mean good?) and celebrating twelve years of marriage to my fella (!) We were talking about how we love amusement parks and roller coasters, but have somehow, over the course of our 16ish years together, never made a trip. That ends this weekend. It's my year to plan and I found a Groupon, so we're heading to Six Flags. Wish us luck that old age hasn't caught up to use and we can still enjoy some thrill rides!

Comments

Popular Posts