Finding My Place

I was an Army brat growing up. At the time, I hated it because every time I'd get into my groove and start making friends, excelling in school, etc., we'd move and I'd have to start from scratch again. As I got older, I just assumed that I'd eventually pack up and leave, but there was always a reason not to.

I had to go to school in Texas to qualify for in-state tuition rates. Then I met Clint and decided I kind of like him. Graduation came along and I considered talking to the recruiter from Colorado, but we were engaged and I couldn't make a decision about a cross-country move without seeing where he'd end up (because let's face it...pretty much anything he would be doing outweighs an inexperienced teaching salary).

I guess I always figured it was normal to move every few years and I still have a hard time understanding how Clint has no desire to live anywhere else...but the more I get involved, the more I see what I'd miss if we ever left.

We're lucky to live in a good school district where the elementary school is an easy walk from our house. Our neighbors honestly can't be beat, as there's always someone planning a party or lending their expertise to help one another out. We have friends who have become family buying homes in the area, my gym, the roller girls, and the countless friends I made in my mom group and at the kids' schools.

Before we bought our house, we lived in the town Clint grew up in and we would always laugh that I couldn't take him anywhere without running into at least three people he knew. In the last couple of years, the tables have turned and he's had to entertain the kiddos while I get to catch up in the Target checkout with a friend I haven't seen in awhile. I love it!

What I'm trying to say is that community is everything. If you simply exist in a place, afraid to put down any roots and viewing everyone as a temporary acquaintance, it's always going to be easy to leave, but it also gets lonely. I'm glad to finally be in a place I can call my home...


Comments

Popular Posts