Snapshot of Life

This morning I had a brief meetup with some friends I haven't seen in several months. It was way too short, since we were grabbing coffee and my toddler has no patience for quiet places (even the cookies I gave him to buy me a few extra minutes were gone before I could even say hello), but one of these sweet ladies threw her arms around me and mentioned how skinny I look.

????????

Really? I took the compliment, because even though I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be, I'm working my ass off and seeing some progress. It was strange, though, to wonder what stretch of the imagination would paint me as a skinny person. I met this group of friends when I was 8 months pregnant with my youngest and have really struggled with losing the weight this time around, so it makes sense that by comparison, I must look pretty small. They didn't know the Heather that got up at 5am to run 10+ miles every Saturday morning, or the 19 year old me whose roommates questioned whether I had an eating disorder...they've only known pregnant, nursing, crazy post-partum, hot mess mom of three me.

What don't we know about our friends and family, or even just casual acquaintances? There are so many different facets of our lives, and we only see a glimpse of their present day selves. I wonder what my mom friends were like before having kids...would we have been friends even if we didn't happen to have kids the same ages? Will getting coffee to catch up happen more or less often once all of our babies are in school full-time and some of us go back to work/school?

I guess that tiny interaction just made me question what I present to people, how they'll remember me, if they remember me...and hopefully I'll still be lucky enough to know them when I'm back to "normal"...healthy, happy, and employable ;)

...because sometimes you just gotta capture the flavor of the week hair color



Comments

Popular Posts