Let's Get Comfortable


How comfortable? I guess that depends on your standards, but I'm talking about being comfortable with ourselves. I'm 35 years young. And yes, I have goals about getting and staying healthy and strong, but more and more I'm seeing that so many industries are literally banking on people not being comfortable with themselves.

Since I started staying home with my kids, and moreso since I joined a gym geared toward women, I have been exposed to the monster known as the multilevel marketing scheme...or "direct/network sales" as they prefer to be called. Don't get me wrong, I love these women and want the best for them and their families, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be a customer, let alone a distributor in their downline. What are the two main products? Skincare and health supplements.

So many memes about "if you remember this, then you need an eye cream or anti-aging regimen." Really? Because call me old-fashioned, but I'm a firm believer that what you put on your face isn't nearly as important as what you put into it. You can keep your $200 bi-monthly regimen, and I'm going to keep eating my veggies, drinking my water, and using my store-brand scrub, retinol , and sunscreen because I literally can't tell the difference between someone who uses fancy products and someone who prefers the cheap route.

Same thing with health supplements. If your product has the exact same ingredients and ratios as what I can get at the grocery store, why should I pay 3x retail so someone's upline can take a commission on a product they didn't develop or sell to me directly? But what is more often the case is that the ingredients are hidden as a "proprietary blend" or they have added sugars. No thank you. I prefer transparency and to not have sugar masquerading as a health food.

But do I get it? Absolutely. There are a few women I know personally who have done extraordinarily well for themselves in these businesses, and who wouldn't want that kind of success in any field? But for every woman driving the company-subsidized vehicle and living in a fancy gated community, there are hundreds more who aren't even covering the cost of their own products due to market saturation.

I've been approached and had products from several lines recommended to me in the past few weeks (I guess they finally realized I'm a potentially untapped resource). But I'm not your girl. I read nutrition labels obsessively, I don't make my own income (and therefore don't feel justified in spending a lot of money on myself), and I'm almost absurdly low-maintenance and comfortable in my own skin.

Comments

Popular Posts