My Newest Endeavor

After literally years of mulling it over, I finally worked up the nerve to attend my first roller derby practice.

Back up. A decade ago, a friend of the family was skating in a banked track league up in Austin. Life being what it is, we never made it to a bout, but I started watching videos online, derby documentaries, everything to learn more about the game. Then kids happened and I was in no position to even think about it...I got a bit jealous when I saw my sister starting up with a team in her town, but I figured it would just be one of those things I'd never get to try.

Whomp whomp whomp.

Enter Burn Boot Camp and the amazing network of cool people I get to work out with. It just so happens that one of my Burn sisters skates on a local team and they encourage newbies to get involved. I went to my first bout a month ago and I'm hooked!

So here I am, flailing around at practice like a baby deer on roller skates, learning how to stop without crashing, challenging my posture, my core strength, and quickly getting over my fear of falling. I have so much to learn (enough that I don't even know how much I don't know), and a "derby kiss" the size of my fist forming on my left butt cheek.

I may never make it onto the track for a bout, but damned if I'm not going to give it everything I've got.

Who said you can't start a new sport at 35?


Comments

Popular Posts